Monday, June 11, 2007

The CICU

Dad looked great. He had great color, his dressings were clean and dry, and the three chest tubes coming from under his incision looked like they were draining perfectly. When I walked in, I admit I had been preparing myself for the worst all day. But, I was happy that he looked good. He was on a bunch of pressors, and still tubed, and getting a fresh bag of plasma.

I wanted to jump right in, and start taking care of him. When his blood pressure started dipping and his alarm started sounding, I wanted to reach out and up his dobutamine. When the respiratory therapist was suctioning him (nope, couldn't watch)- I wanted to yell from behind the curtain after she said, "hmmm, not getting anything"...and say, "does he have a plug"? I wanted to check his pupils...I wanted to strip his chest tubes...and most of all, I wanted him to squeeze my hand before I left for the evening.

But he was still sleeping when we left. And I left the nurses and the docs to do their job. They told us that it may take a while for him to wake up, because he was pretty much under for 8 hours, and he's still heavily sedated. I hope he sleeps until morning. Because I don't want him to wake up in the middle of the night, and be afraid.

When I got home, I called right away for an update. He's stable right now, and the only problem he's having is that he's a little acidotic. They gave him some bicarb..and they'll check his gas again in an hour. I'll check in on him once more before bed, and pray to any god/deity that will listen that he'll be alright. And he's still sleeping.

Thanks for all of the text messages and IMs and phone calls....you've all helped me through today. One day down, and lets hope the rest of his hospital stay only gets better from here on out. That he walks out of the hospital with merely a scar on his chest that he can blame on a shark attack would be fantastic.

And I promise, if he does well- I will never- ever-ever make fun of pictures of Daddy that look like this:

Or this:

or this:




5 comments:

One Little Seedling said...

Glad he's doing well.

CapitolSwell said...

I'm glad to hear that he is doing well. I love the pics. Dads are strong people.

Anonymous said...

Bill is dead sexy in these pics. Tito Eli has the scar too -- I should tell him to blame sharks instead. Still praying for you and the fam. Love love love u.

m.

Braving the Arirang said...

oh Till, just heard the good news from Scott!!! I am so happy to hear that your Dad is eating!! you must be so happy (it's an awesome miracle after such a short time post surgery!)

Hope the recovery keeps going at this pace. See you this weekend (can't wait to give Ryder a bunch of hugs. Haven't seen you guys in forever it seems)

Anonymous said...

Incredibly glad your dad is doing well. Took everything in me not to cry while reading through all that you've been through in the past couple of days. Send your Dad all our love .. our thoughts are most definitely with him and your entire family. And T, you've been so unbelievably strong .. and I know you have S & Ryder .. but I still wish I could be there to give you a big hug & kiss. Still keeping our thoughts with all of you. Love you tons.

-p