Wednesday, June 13, 2007

In-Fing-credible!!!!!

My Dad is doing amazing. I still sit here and shake my head in disbelief because it's so incredible. Today his second art line was pulled, another one of his IV's, and the remainder of his chest tubes. He was moved to the Cardiac Telemetry unit for the rest of his hospital course, and on his way over, he was yelling, "beep! beep!" down the hallway!

He's not hooked up to any sort of external cardiac monitoring. It's a telemetry unit, so the leads from inside his chest are connected to a portable box which reads his vital signs- sends them directly over to the nursing station. That's fantastic news...but, sort of scary news if you're the daughter of William Yau. Because he's the kinda guy who's gonna try and get up to go to the bathroom all by himself in the middle of the night because he won't want to bother any of the nurses (yes, even his foley is out). And what's stopping him? Nothing. He's not hooked up to anything, his chest tubes are gone, there are no lines of IVs hanging anywhere to make him possibly ask for help. He's a free man. Good Lord.

We got to talking about whether or not he remembered anything, and if he was scared, etc. His face grew red and he started to cry when he said that when he woke up, he was sooo happy that he knew where he was, that he knew why he was there, and that he didn't have anything happen to his brain. Like me, that was his greatest fear. Since they were working so close to the vessels that lead to his brain, one of his biggest risks of the surgery was throwing a clot, causing a stroke. He was relieved that he felt everything, that he could move his arms and legs, and that he knew where he was- and that he knew what he wanted to do- and say. Relieved to say the least. Then of course, my mom started to cry, and then of course, I started to cry...I guess we are that family that cries at moments of extreme happiness...because that's why I was crying. I'm so ridiculously happy. Father's Day will certainly mean something different this year.

I was telling Scott when I got home that I felt weird. Weird in a sense that I have nothing left to worry about. I've been worrying for what has been about 6 weeks. And tonight, I think I can truly say that I have nothing more to worry about. Even if he does fall on the way to the bathroom because he wants to do it himself, he'll be fine. He's got a crazy sense of honor, strength and pride that I can't match, and that's what's going to keep him around me for a long, long time. No more worrying. If you could see his face right now, you'd never believe that his chest was wide open two days ago for eight hours. You just wouldn't believe it.

In-Fing-credible.

4 comments:

Braving the Arirang said...

God TL, I can't even begin to tell you how happy I am for your family. You're such a strong person too, TL. Don't ever think anything different. After all that you went through and all that worrying, it all came out terrific.

In order to get to the rainbow at the end, you have to make it through the storm. :-) And you most definitely did.

Lots of love <3

One Little Seedling said...

What is a "Fing"?

Blue Ryder said...

Ok fine. It's inFUCKINGcredible.

Anonymous said...

What a rockstar ! He's my F-ing idol ! Seriously .. CRAZY !

And a big WHEW .. I'm so relieved and happy for you.

-p