Friday, August 24, 2007

Notes on High School

So I was debating on whether or not to check out "High School Musical". Apparently, it's the "GREASE" of the present day. I don't know, nothing can top "Grease", or "Grease 2" for that matter (Michelle Pfifer singing that she needs a C-o-o-l-r-i-DER just can't be beat)- but I'm definitely curious. There's so much hype. So, I sat and thought...and sat and thought some more (about whether or not I should TIVO it) when I just got to thinking about high school- in general.

What the heck do kids in high school do these days besides learn? Do they pass notes? Doubt it- with the advent of cell phones- they probably just text. Damn! There was nothing more fun than writing a "note" to a friend, or a BOYFRIEND. You'd hand it to him, all shy- and be like- "I wrote you a note. But don't read it NOW. Read it later." At the bottom of the note you'd write, "WRITE BACK". You'd fold it all clever-like...and maybe even draw funny animals all over it, or maybe even write your favorite band on it, over and over...in my case- that would be Duran Duran, or INXS.

Even better than all that was receiving a note. Especially from the boyfriend who sat behind you in class. You'd get a tap on the shoulder, and you'd turn around, and your man would be looking down at the floor, all coy. You'd look down, and see a piece of paper under his loafers. He'd push his foot up, and then "OOPS"- you drop your pencil (cause you could never use pen in class). You'd grab the note, and try to figure out how to open it without making too much noise. Can't you hear "I'm forevuuuhhhhaaaa yourssss.....faithfully" playing in the background? Yeah, people, I turned 35 last weekend, gimme a break.

Do they just text now? Text simple things like, "you're HOT. got yo digits from Paulo. CALL ME." And would the girl be all like, "ohmygod, who IS this?". I so wish when Ryder grows up to be in high school- he could write notes. It's just so old school and cool. But oh well, I'm DEAD ASS OLD, and that will never happen.

Do they even talk in the hallways in between classes? Or does everyone have iPods or MP3 players plugged into their ears as they go from History to Biology? I saw a commercial for a binder that had a charger in its pocket, just for the occasion that you run out of fuel for your tunes. What happened to the good ol' TRAPPER KEEPER?? Or the blue denim binder that you'd write ALL over? Have they all been replaced by laptops? Are spiral notebooks still used? I bet they all can certainly write with pen now. And even chew gum. And to reiterate Capitol Swell's earnest question: "whatever happened to the mix tape?".

HAH. Maybe "High School Musical" will have all the answers. Get the TIVO fired up.

4 comments:

@margeemateo said...

i live in the conservative past. i live in a time when cellphones were a commodity. i cannot shed light.

all i can say though is that i laughed so hard with paragraph 4 line 1!!! hahaha!!!

@margeemateo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Braving the Arirang said...

yes, even though I graduated high school only a mere four years ago, cell phones were def a commodity in my school. The girls who had them were the same who had a matching Kate Spade or LV purse for every day of the week.

The poor "artistic" kids would be the ones to write notes, covered in colored pastels, or some trippy ass pen design that you drew out of boredom during fourth mod's Honors Chem (because the teacher gave all the answers during a test anyways). Come to think of it, I am proud to know that I still lived in a generation where literacy skills (even at its basics) were needed to write a decent note, besides the texts I see from my little sister now that say "hey, brb. talk 2 u l8"...it's so minimal.

hope you enjoyed high school musical. I am a geek for the soundtrack...so if you get into it and love the songs, then I know who I can karaoke out with. LOL

One Little Seedling said...

You are old.