Thursday, January 10, 2008

His Health was Short-lived

Ryder's perfect health lasted a whole ten days.

He got some crazy stomach virus after day care yesterday. When we picked him up from school, he seemed completely fine. He had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner, and had his bath. At around 8pm, he starts the vomiting. Just puking water. He's shaken, but not beaten, and continues to play until about 10 minutes later, and he pukes all over again. He pukes four more times after that, and we put him to sleep in our bed. And then, every half an hour, pretty much like clock work- he'd wake up, cough, gag, dry heave some foam (cause there's just nothing left), cry, and pass out again for another half an hour- only to do that until 4am...and its at that time, he's beaten. He passes out for the rest of the night.

He's up again at 630, crying for water. Who wouldn't? After having played "exorcist" all night long with your parents, I mean, who wouldn't want a drink of water??

Man, I tell you. Parenting is tough going. Every time he puked last night, it was like my heart was being shredded by a razor (are you guys tired of hearing that analogy or what? I know I am). There's just so much damn love in me for him, that I can't help but LOSE MY SHIT when he gets sick. And its those damn eyes of his that gets me. Whenever he looks at me to just HELP HIM UNDERSTAND what's going on, all I can say over and over is, "don't be scared, mommy's here"..as he pukes foam into my hands while his body is contorted in a painful vomiting position. "Don't be scared, its OK....mommy is here" is coming out of my mouth, while "Jesus Christ, please help him stop" is bouncing over and over in my brain.

He's napping now. He's doing better today, and we've been giving him liquids and dry foods to him slowly again. So far so good. One day at a time.

0 comments: