Monday, March 10, 2008

Competition Calculations

There have been tons of questions on how to calculate this stuff. Therefore, I give you.......

Ceramical Notes from the Freakishly Tall Husband:

The winner of the weight loss competition will be the person with the highest “Total Fat Loss Average” (TFL).

To reduce embarrassment, no one’s actual weight will be posted. Instead, weight loss will be measured based on % of body weight lost. This % will be based on your original weight when you began working out.

Since everyone began working out at different times, a system needed to be put in place to “even out the playing field”. So results will be normalized based on total time working out. The normalized results will be your TFL.

Obviously, I have a spreadsheet to perform all the calculations. Here are the equations we’ll use:
Here is an example:
  • Joe has been working out since January 14, 2008.
  • Joe has lost 10 pounds as of today.
  • Joe originally weighed 217 pounds (on January 14)
  • Joe’s % body weight lost would be (10 lb / 217 lb x 100%) = 4.6%
  • Joe has been working out for (March 10 – January 14) = 8 weeks
  • Joe’s TFL is (4.6% / 8 weeks) = 0.58

When you enter the competition, you will need to provide your % body weight lost and amount of time working out. I will calculate TFL from that, and use that information, along with your weekly % body weight lost, to display a kind of running average.

Example continued:

  • On week 1 of the competition, Joe weighs himself and determines he has now lost a total of 12 pounds.
  • He reports his calculated % body weight lost to Blue Ryder – 5.5%
  • Blue Ryder would calculate his updated TFL (5.5% / 9 weeks) – 0.61

Everyone’s results will be compiled weekly and I’ll get them to Blue Ryder to post. The weekly update posts will show who’s in the lead, and who needs to increase the incline on the treadmill!

Whoever has the highest updated TFL at the end of the competition wins!!!

17 comments:

One Little Seedling said...

Does this mean if your not as fat as the other fatty you have a better chance of winning? Two people who both lose 10 pounds at the same time but weigh differently have a different TFL percentage. The not so fat guy wins because he has a lower weight which bumps up his ratio. I think. What if you just need to tone up?

Bust out the oil!!! Hee hee.

Unknown said...

i disagree with the calculations .. i don't know why, i just do .. they don't seem ceramical enough. when i plugged some numbers in, yellow smoke came out

booo ....

p.s. wuv u thcottie ..

wunderkraut said...

Who's Joe? Looks like he's winning.

m said...

Beefcake = 0.589 as of 3/10/08

I'm greased up and ready for competitition. Pass the tanning oil.

Chief Sherpa said...

According to my calculations,
Chiefsherpa= 1.05 as of 3/10/08

Unknown said...

if my calculations are correct .84 as of 3/11/08

hmm .. i feel like it should be less .. *shrug*

Unknown said...

Let the games begin.....

My TFL is .79 as of 3/10/08

V

m said...

i'm going to check your math. especially you, sherp.

sassypants said...

If the Sherpa wins I think we know "why"...

sassypants said...

Oh and another thing...how did you gain 3 pounds one week and have the highest TFL? Huh? I got my eye on you Sherpa!

One Little Seedling said...

Because her ratio of weight differs from yours.

Chief Sherpa said...

I don't really know why everyone thinks I'm cheating! Ok, maybe I do, but You guys still totally suck ass. I'm the one who suggested weigh in's with a partner to begin with and I'm starting to think it might be a good idea! See, I knew this would happen! I knew that YOU ALL would think I'm cheating. Jerks.

One Little Seedling said...

I don't think your cheating.

Here's how it is in simple terms. If person "A" weighs 110 pounds and person "B" weighs 100 pounds and both lose 5 pounds the percentage ends up as follows.


Person A
5 divided by 110 X 100% = 4.5%

4.5% divided by 10 weeks = .45

Person B
5 divided by 100 X 100% = 5%

5% divided by 10 weeks = .5


So even though both lost 5 pounds at the same time, the lighter person has a better point average because her weight is less than person "A".


Their ratio is offset. In a bigger picture it's like comparing a 200 pounder losing 5 pounds to someone who is 5 pounds losing 5 pounds.

We're are going to have different point aberages according to our respective weights. Not to mention height and whether some is way over weight.

One Little Seedling said...

Sorry that last paragraph was garbled.

One Little Seedling said...

I don't know about this scale. Hee hee. It seems a little wonky. Mine is pathetic for now.

I started at 166 and lost 6 pounds, but started lifting. So I added back about 3 pounds. But I also just ate. So now I am at 163. so my "TFL" is .60

If I can get to 150 or 148 I have a chance at beating the sherp. But If she only ways 130 and already lost 5 pounds in 2 weeks... game over. There's no catching up. If she loses a bit more and is done her routine than she wins.

The only way she can lose is if we count all the days leading up to the Italy. She will plateau. She can only lose so much. But if she keeps losing weight... forget it, game over.

She's a tiny girl. So if she loses 10 pounds we are screwed. I don't know when she started but lets hope it's more than 4 weeks ago to give us a bleeding chance. Hee hee.

Blue Ryder said...

This is probably the funniest thing that I've ever posted. I laughed like nuts reading all of this!

We should all just fohgetabout it and wrestle in the mud. We'd at least just look skinny.

m said...

it is actually pretty accurate. in fact, gerry you should have an easier time, if anything, losing 5 lbs than the sherpa. i'm not defending sherp, cuz i think her ass is indeed cheating, but i'm just saying it's harder for someone smaller to lose 5 lbs than it is for someone bigger. so the ratio does work. that's why we chose a ratio and not absolute numbers; the ratio equalizes everyone to lose weight in percentages. theoretically, everyone should find it equally as hard to lose 10% of their weight, no matter what their size. that's why it's fair.

i hate it when i agree with scott's calucations; it's so BOHRING.

GET IT, HONAAAY.