Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Does She EVEN Know?

The Sherpa hates when I call her "The Sherpa".

DOES she EVEN KNOW what a Sherpa IS?????

My husband and I have been completely addicted to The Discovery Channel's Everest: Beyond the Limit. We have looked forward to it every single Tuesday, talking about it even at work- "guess what's on tonight, honey?"......"EVEREST! BEYOND THE LIMIT!....WOOHOO! Break out the beer"! As many of you may know, Everest is one of my little obsessions. Not really about the climbing, but about the mental strength that it takes to accomplish such a task, a task that just might take you to the roof of the world.

The last episode was on tonight, and we watched it with sadness as the final credits rolled on. It prompted me to write this post about Sherpas. I mean, SHERPAS RULE! And I'm wondering why AM HATES when I call her one. I mean, they absolutely rock, and no one on earth would get up to the top of Everest without their dedication. Sure- they're short and wiry, and typically very dark- just like A. But that's why they excel in high altitudes. They've adapted to be able to live in areas where only jets can fly. Being so close to the sun and the heavens is what makes them dark. I don't know what A's excuse is on that one. Los Angeles is at sea level.

But anyway, I digress. Here are some highlights from the reality show- and some more reasons why Sherpa's RULE:

"No insurance company on earth will cover Russel's business (he's the expedition leader). His only protection is knowledge, discipline, and the skills of his Sherpas, the backbone of any Everest expedition."

"Phurba has reached the summit seven times before, and he is now Tim and Gerard's best chance at survival." (As Tim and Gerard can't SEE anymore, and their feet are frostbitten from being in minus 40 degree cold.) As time progresses: "The Sherpas right now, are pulling Gerard. One pushing, one pulling him in the snow. They're dragging him down. It's not just Gerard's life at stake, the Sherpas place their own lives in danger just trying to keep him moving."

"The Sherpas go up to each camp before the rest of the team, bringing food and supplies with them- oftentimes just backpacks filled with bottled oxygen. Along the way, they affix safety ropes to the entire route to the top, without being harnessed themselves."

As a double amputee has made it to the top, and now has bloody stumps- and can't make it back down on his own (the team builds a make-shift toboggan to get him down): "The toboggan team helping him have run out of snow as they near advanced base camp. For the last few hundred yards, it's down to Sherpa power."...and then...."Phurba straps him to his back, all 120 pounds of him, and negotiates the rocky slope down to ABC."

And...as the team huddles a final time down at base camp after attempting their bids for the summit: "This doesn't work without all of the boys. Dorju. Auden. Donorg. Phurba. They cooked for you every single day. They worked so hard for you guys- Who put the ropes in? Who worked to get you back down? When you didn't turn around, and ran out of time, who was right there beside you? Every single one."

So, I say this. Do you even KNOW WHAT A Sherpa IS, A? How important they are? Maybe you don't deserve to be called a Sherpa. (And I know what you're going to say: "Yeah, I don't deserve to be one. Don't call me The Sherpa.")

Well, OK. I won't call you The Sherpa anymore. BUT still, you are THAT important to me as Sherpas are to the expedition teams up there on Everest. My backbone, so to speak. Plus, you're just really dark. And short. And wiry. And freakishly strong for your size.

I got it: "Chief Sherpa".

And if you have time, check out the "Sherpa Cam" in the link above. You should TOTALLY get one of those, A! I can watch you from here! I know, I know. You want me to get a "BITCH CAM", so you can watch me from there. I love you too.

7 comments:

One Little Seedling said...

Sherpas have leathery skin. That also have deep dark wrinkles from slaving for the rich man.

Anonymous said...

A-HA .. you will awaken the mini-beast. I LOVE when midget sherpas become angry! I hesitated to comment for fear of being sucked into your blogger world, but alas .. HURRAY for yet another way to mention sherpas!

Blue Ryder said...

You are soooo in trouble, P. I NEVER said MIDGET.

Chief Sherpa said...

Omigod!! I should've known that you were already watching this show. The best show ever and I will have you know that as C and I were watching this last night, I REALLY thought (and this is before I read your blog) Sherpas are f**king awesome and I am going to tell TL that I am proud to be called one. As for you P, you're gonna get it tomorrow.

CapitolSwell said...

I have sherpas at work, I call them interns

Anonymous said...

Finally, I figured out who "AM" is...


The Onocoffee

Unknown said...

If you want to have an intimate look at the Sherpa tribe, Beyond the Summit.The press frequently covers stories of achievement and deaths on Everest but rarely focuses on the true heroes-the Sherpas. One third of all Everest deaths have been Sherpas. I used to lead treks to the Everest Base Camp and worked with a group of Sherpas to found the first hut system in Nepal in 1990. Wanting to give the world to have an intimate look at their culture, I'm the first to dramatize their lives in fiction.

Beyond the Summit has received 5-star reviews from everyone. A publisher from China has requested the translation rights for Mainland China. A rep for Recorded Books has just sent a package of reviews and readers' comments to the acquisitions department for Recorded Books to encourage purchase of the title.

Following are short selcetions from reviews. To view full reviews and excerpts, please visit my web site at www.beyondthesummit-novel.com.

A hard-hitting blend of adventure and romance which deserves a spot in any serious fiction collection. Midwest Book Review

LeBlanc is equally adept at describing complex, elusive emotions and the beautiful, terrifying aspect of the Himalayan Mountains. Boulder Daily Camera

LeBlanc's vivid description of the Himalayas and the climbing culture makes this a powerful read. Rocky Mt News Pick of the Week
A rich adventure into the heart of the Himalayan Kingdom. Fantastic story-telling from one who has been there. USABookNews.com

A gripping, gut-twisting expedition through the eyes of a porter reveals the heart and soul of Sherpas living in the shadows of Everest. EverestNews.com

Memorable characters and harrowing encounters with the mountains keep the action moving with a vibrant balance of vivid description and dialogue. Literary Cafe Host, Healdsburg, CA

I am deeply touched by LeBlanc's account. Beautifully written, it goes right to the life of a porter. International Porter Protection Group.

This superbly-crafted novel will land you in a world of unimaginable beauty, adventure, and romance. The love story will keep you awake at night with its vibrant tension and deep rich longing. Wick Downing, author of nine novels